Flow cytometry is a powerful technology with a wide variety of applications in Agri-Food sector including:
Analysis of Ploidy Level
- Check of ploidy level of starting material for tissue culture.
- Check for purity of seed.
- Screen for haploids and diploids from anther, microspore and ovary cultures.
- Screen for diploids after genetic transformation.
- Screen for triploids, e.g. production of hybrid seed.
- Screen for tetraploids, e.g. spontaneously caused by endomitosis or artificially caused by chemical treatment or after radiation treatment.
Analysis of Endopolyploidy
- Detection of chimaeras after artificial polyploidisation.
- Analysis of endopolyploidy in plants or plant parts.
Cell Cycle Analysis or the measure of polyploidy
- Determination of percentages of cells in different stages of cell cycle (G1, S, G2/M phase of the mitosis).
- Determination of the percentage of cells in the different ploidy levels of polyploid plants.
Determination of small differences in DNA amount
- For aneuploids.
- For interspecific hybrids (only if the difference of the nuclear DNA amount between the parents can be measured).
- Search for polyploidy as a result of apomixes.
Determination of Nuclear Genome Size
Detection of differences between genotypes.